Friday, November 7, 2008

Prop 8

From an email my dad sent over the weekend:


Just wanted to give you an update on how the Prop 8 walk was today. My first impressions were one of "good grief" something else to do on my Saturday. The spirit was prompting me to go. But I didn't want to. I had just gotten back from picking up my gun and I was eager to break it down and to clean it. The spirit kept prompting me and not gently mind you but very strongly. I gave in and went. While driving north on 1st street to the meeting place at Mervyns I came around the bend at about the Chili's restaurant. It was at that point that I began to see the stream of yellow signs lined up on both sides of the street. I arrived at about 11:15am so I was a little late. My eyes began to swell with tears, it was such a magnificent sight to see.

Entire families both young and old from the stake were there. Both teenagers and young adults joined in. It began to rain a bit but everyone held their ground. Signs were wet but we kept them as straight as we could. At about 12:30 about a third of us moved over to the other side of town by "Trader Joe's". I was one of the first to arrive and for a while, it was about only 10 of us standing out there. I was getting a little nervous, mom wouldn't have but I was. Then a bit later others from the Mervyns area began to arrived there also.
We received a lot of honking and thumbs up for support on Prop 8. Contrary to the TV news and media. We also received plenty of the drivers IQ number as well as thumbs down. A few called us all bigots and haters but obviously they don't know me. Nor do they know I have gay as well as a transvestite friends from work.
It was great doing the lords work and following his council. In my last high council talk I gave last month, I talked about the zions camp march. How many both in and out of the church complained and many fell away because "they" felt that it was a wasted and ill guided trip. Later many of those who completed the trip were called to be leaders for the exodus to Salt Lake City and other destinations. I feel that this is just the beginning of what is going to come.
One more observation. President Alexander gave us a time of 2pm to stay and most of us did. I arrived at home at about 2:15, it was at that point the heavens opened up and a downpour of rain began. Don't ever think that this church is not guided by inspired men and women.
Well that's all I have to say about that. "Forrest Gump". But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD. Love Dad

4 comments:

erin said...

thanks for the post. my mom went out too w/ my little brother even though they didnt want to either. im happy it passed, but tired of hearing people calling me a hater.

Kaitlin said...

that really makes me smile. a lot.

cldmt_chick said...

Elizabeth, thank you for sharing that. Gives ya the warm fuzzies.

Hethrjem said...

Good for your Dad!