It is that time again! I have realized that I haven't posted anything about the family in awhile. So here it goes.
bunny cake at Grandma Shill's house for Easter
Garrett has finals in a few weeks. I feel like this year has flown by very quickly. He will leave for his study abroad to China only a couple days after his last final. I hope to cram in a bunch of "quality family time" in before he goes. He will be gone from May 14th until June 10th. We already have reserved the hostel he will be staying at. It will cost about 85% less than the hotel everyone else is staying at. I told him that the hostel is to be a secret so he has a place all to himself to study :-) Its a private twin ensuite which means he will have his own room and private bathroom. They also have free wi-fi as well as lockers. I assume he will also have a lock to his room. So many people go the really really cheap route (his room is 4 times the cost of other ones), but for 17 dollars, instead of 4, you get some peace of mind. The cheap rooms are shared with whoever else ends up at the hostel. That is crazy if you ask me, unless you are only at the place two nights and just carry everything around with you wherever you go. The hostel is a 10 min bus ride from his school and 15 min by bike. I have emailed the hostel a few times and they have been very helpful. They write back in pretty good English. According to reviews, the places has 95% positive reviews. We are very excited for him!
I am staying busy working in Maddie's class and Girl Scouts. I also am still doing the monthly activities for the women at church. I am going to begin working with our area's school board rep as a community liaison. Along with that, I should be starting work at Maddie's school in the next few weeks. The job goes full-time next year which I am excited about, but also nervous seeing as I haven't worked full-time permanently since before getting married and obviously before having kids. Luckily, Reagan won't have to be in daycare all day since Garrett will only have a two classes per day in the Fall. I hope it works out. The health insurance alone will be worth it. I will be joining Garrett in China on June 2nd and flying back w/ him on the 10th. I fly into Shanghai and stay the night w/ his sister and her husband. We are sooo lucky to have them in Shanghai. I probably wouldn't be going if they weren't around. I then will take a train to meet Garrett in Hangzhou and then we will get a train back to Shanghai, meet up w/ the family and take an overnight train to Beijing!!! I am sooo excited. Meredith's hubby speaks Chinese so hopefully they will come. If they don't I will freak out. We haven't made permanent plans on exactly where we will be staying in Beijing. Its a large city (duh) and there are so many little 'districts' so I am still doing research. I would hate to get a hotel somewhere far away from where we want to be. We will be there three whole days (Sunday morning thru Wed morning) so we will head to the touristy areas (the Wall, Tienamen (sp?) Square, Summer Palace, etc). Adam (Mer's hubby) knows an area off the tourist path of the Wall that is supposed to be awesome! The budget will be tight so I won't be bringing home a bunch of touristy stuff. Pictures are worth a thousand words anyways, right?
My mom came and visited last week. She was really there for a Navy Educators Week, but we got to see her a few times. She tore her ACL a little while back and it looks very painful. I told her to have her surgery this summer and the girls and I will come take care of her.
Mariah (my sister) is due in a week and a half. I can't believe Samantha Lou is almost here. I hope she looks like me. Though it won't be too hard to have a light haired/light eyed kid between Kalon's and she's genes..
Ok, so that was a cheesy, life is perfect post. But, I still am stressed and stay up too late watching TV instead of going to bed. Once I start working that will have to change.


3 comments:
finally a new post! You know I blog stalk you and have been in anticipation for over a week! The pictures of the girls are so cute. I want to kiss them! I hope Sammy gets your skin for sure!
Also, we bought a book by Rick Steves and it was awesome to have it lists hotels etc that he has stayed at and would reccomend some even give discount if you mention him.
1. love the update!
2. i really was thinking, "are those really the only frames they had for cheap??? ive been to the eye dr tons and i KNOW there are cuter things out there!" then i read it is her dressed as harry potter! haha
Great update. I can't wait to hear all about your China trip when you get back and see all your pictures. Every 1.5 years I get this tremendous itch to go overseas...but it has now been 3 years and with this unexpected babe, it'll be a looooooong time until we can afford to go anywhere. So your trip will be "my" virtual trip! (We nearly always stay in hostels because they are cheap and you get to meet people from all over the world. I'm not too sure how quiet it'll be for studying, though. Maybe he could find a Starbucks...)
Your girls are so cute. I love your comments about their behaviors and stuff (like wearing dresses backwards).
Post a Comment