Thursday, February 26, 2009

Update

So things have been busy around here. I became the Enrichment Leader for Church and have been working on getting Humanitarian projects started, small groups started, and we have an Emergency Preparedness class tonight. They haven't had regular groups or meetings for a long time so I am hoping that we have a good turn out.

Maddie is doing great in school. She is reading and writing very well. At school they have different centers, one of which is the writing center. She is able to look at a picture and then write two sentences about it. Ok, I totally was just bragging, but she is only 5 so I have to brag a little.

Reagan's vocab has greatly improved. She enjoys conversations on the phone even if they are only about two sentences long. She still has an opinion on everything, but luckily, she usually wants things that are already around the house. I am certainly not running to Walmart anytime she wants something.

Garrett is enjoying school. I am grateful he has a group of friends that we can hang out with. I love my church friends, but I also love our "school" friends. It is definitely a different bunch (no kids, wives working full-time, etc) so we don't go out as much b/c their nights usually start at 8pm, but when we do we have a great time. We are going to have them to our house next weekend. Garrett will be attending a law school in Hanghzou China for three weeks in May/June. I plan on meeting up with him as his courses are ending and then heading to Beijing for a few days before flying back. I am 95% sure I am going, but it all depends a lot of tax returns. We are planning on using those to pay for my ticket. I assume we should get a big return since we actually have more write offs this year and about half the income as the previous year so we are crossing our fingers!

I am loving San Diego. Garrett has admitted it and I know things around our home are much more pleasant b/c when "mom is happy, everyone is happy." I am still dealing w/ the miscarriage in the sense that sometimes I will be like "well if I was pregnant, I would be..." I usually don't cry about it, but the emotions are still there. Perhaps I am lucky not to be in Idaho where we always had a plethora of pregnant women at church :-)

I have started a Girl Scout troop for K thru 1st grade with girls from Maddie's school and the local Montessori school. I was hesitant at first, but have been pleasantly surprised at how much fun these girls are. Garrett and Maddie combined have sold over 100 boxes of cookies. This is the first year that the Daisys can sell and I was NOT planning on she alone selling so many. A little overwhelming, but it will be nice to have the money to spend on our girls for crafts, field trips, etc.

Oh, and just to share, Garrett actually said after going clay shooting one day that it "was almost like being back in Idaho." That made me VERY happy!

And if Adam V is reading this (or Meredith) make sure that you guys come w/ us to Beijing. Seriously, after all these little bits of advice from the professors going, having a Chinese speaker w/ us is WAY cheaper than getting a english speaking taxi driver instead of taking the public transportation. I will bribe him.

5 comments:

erin said...

china! no way! that will be fun!

The Bowers! said...

Do you think you guys will try to permanently relocate to California or SD in particular when he's done with school?

Ms. said...

Don't contract bird flu.

Ms. said...

China Shmina you should go to Italy. Tell Garrett to find somewhere cooler to visit

Kaitlin said...

when are those cookies being delivered? i ordered a bunch a while ago but no girl scout has come around since...im anxious for my cookies!